Saturday, January 3, 2009

Katie, Meet Snow

Last night my family and I trekked up to Grandma's again. The last time we came, June, it was lovely. The weather was beautiful, we did fun things like canoe and eat ice cream, and a good time was had by all. This time, the weather is not so beautiful, the river is frozen over, and the ice cream stand is closed. Can you tell where this is going?

The Texan is learning a lot about "winter."

Last night, on the drive from the airport, Syracuse to Potsdam, 2 and a half hours north, I thought we were going to DIE. It was snowing so hard. It was kind of like driving in one of those random Texas downpours, only a completely different kind of precipitation. Snow is much more frightening than heavy rain. Like I said, I thought we were going to DIE... sliding all over the icy roads and that sort of thing. After several conversations with St. Christopher, the patron Saint of travelers, we did eventually make it to Grandma's house in one piece.

Halfway we stopped for dinner and met my friend K and her husband J. K and I coached gymnastics together several years back. Not long after I met her, she got married and moved to Virginia and I thought I was never going to see her again. SOPRESA! She called me one day and told me that her husband took a job as the pastor of a church halfway between the airport and Grandma's! Small world! I'm so excited to get to see K more often.

Today, the high was 16. Barf. I told myself that because of the temperature I was going to change my ways as a "go baby" and stay inside all day. About three hours after I got up I was itchin to get out. I caved. I felt like I was suffocating with my two shirts, a fleece, a scarf a coat and mitts, with jeans and tights and fuzzy boots. (Don't worry guys, the fuzz was on the inside)

I've really got to hand it to people who live like this. I couldn't do it.

I hope to brave the cold and take some pictures at some point.

Happy Blogging!
K

0 comments: